Rekah Pharmaceutical Industry Ltd. is a public company traded on the Israel Stock Exchange. The Group owns a number of designated subsidiaries (Vitamed, Ophir, Center-Pharm) which are engaged in the manufacture, marketing, sale and distribution of pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, vitamins and nutritional supplements. Established in 1941, Rekah boasts a long record of pioneer activity in Israel’s pharmaceutical industry, and has amassed vast and diverse experience in the development, production and sale of generic drugs.
The Group is active on all levels: production, research & development, marketing, distribution and retail.
The Rekah Group manufactures a wide variety of some 280 well-known drugs, offering an effective pharmaceutical solution to medical problems in various fields.
The Group employs 650 employees in all of its divisions and subsidiaries.
The Group’s products are well-known and widely used among Israel’s consumer population.
The Group’s customers in the business sector are diverse and include all institutions active in Israel’s health market.
- In the institutional sector, the company works cooperatively and closely with Clalit Healthcare Services, Maccabi Healthcare Services, Kupat Holim Meuhedet and Kupat Holim Leumit. The Company also works closely with hospitals, senior citizen facilities and government institutions.
- In the private sector, the Company has worked cooperatively, for many years, with private pharmacies, pharmacy chains, natural products stores, supermarket retail chains, cosmetics stores, and baby retail chains and stores.
Principal Milestones in the Group’s History
Rekah began its journey in the 1980s, as a small company in Jerusalem. It started as a local pharmacy and later operated as a pharmaceutical distribution company in the Jerusalem area. During the 1980s, it expanded its distribution activity beyond the Jerusalem region, additional suppliers were added and its distribution was extended to a national level. During the 1990s, the company’s capabilities were expanded to also include manufacturing. In 1994, Rekah acquired its first production facility in Holon and was listed for trading on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange. At the end of the 1990s, the group’s retail activity was expanded with the opening of the Center Pharm pharmacy chain. During the 2000s, the Company expanded its production capability with the acquisition of an additional production site in Binyamina (Vitamed), and also entered the natural products and vitamins field through the “Derech Haim” brand.
Central Milestones in the Group’s History:
- 1984: “Ophir Pharmaceutical Marketing” was established in Jerusalem as a family business engaged in the marketing of pharmaceuticals and cosmetic products, as well as medical and paramedical products and medical dressings, becoming an official company in January 1990.
- 1991: Acquisition of “Shalpharm Marketing” in Petach Tikva (as infrastructure for a transition to a national distribution mechanism).
- 1993: Acquisition of “Rekah Pharmaceuticals Ltd.”, which located in Holon and manufacture unique pills and sterile ointments.
- 1994: Listed for trading on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.
- 1997: Merger of “Ophir” and “Shalpharm” and establishment of a national distribution mechanism.
- 1999: Acquisition of “Center Pharm Ltd.” - a retail pharmacy chain (drug stores) which operates 7 stores countrywide.
- 2003: Acquisition of “Vitamed Pharmaceutical Industries” - engaged in the manufacture of drugs and dermo-cosmetics, including the Baby Pasta Series, antibiotic products, ophthalmological products, as well as vitamins and nutritional supplements under the “Derech Haim” brand for Clalit Healthcare Services.
- 2006: Acquisition of “Barbara Wolf Co. Ltd.” - Engaged in the manufacture, marketing and distribution of make-up, grooming products, perfumes and cosmetics.
- 2007: Establishment of the first “Beit Derech Haim” - in the Tel Aviv Port - A project that serves as a holistic center that promotes healthy lifestyle in Israel and features a gym, spa, meeting and lecture rooms, healthcare treatments and a health food restaurant.
- 2009: Establishment of “AMPI Ltd.” for the distribution of the franchise for Mifal Hapayis products in the Jerusalem area.
- 2010: Establishment of the Group’s main logistics center (under the management of Shalpharm) in the Modiin Industrial Zone.
- 2010: Establishment of a “Beit Derech Haim” in Nazareth that serves as a center to promote a healthy lifestyle among the Arab sector living in the northern Israel.
- 2012: Establishment of a “Beit Derech Haim” Lifestyle House in Ashdod.
Schematic Description of the Group’s Activity